It was quite a productive weekend. Friday night Jack went to sleep early (I have to thank Mr. Ray for the concert that wore him out), and slept for 12 hours straight. When he woke up, he was a different kid. He went to music as usual, then came home and made his bed, picked up his room, helped straighten the living room, then got himself dressed and buttoned his shirt for the first time. We played around taking pictures with Daddy's camera, and he was very patient and careful with it. We played the Very Hungry Caterpillar game, and he followed all the rules! At least to the extent that I can understand the rules. We played at the playground for 90 minutes, most of that in an elaborate ship scenario, including a crew with a captain, lookout, diver, and a special jail for the bad guys. Who is this kid?
Today we went to church and Sunday school. When we came home, we made bread bears according to the recipe in this month's High Five. We played with friends for a while in the unseasonably warm weather. I can see that his social skills are developing, and he's getting better at negotiating instead of making demands. After dinner, we sat down together and watched Mary Poppins.
Before I forget, I want to make a note of some great books we've been reading:
Just in Case - Judith Viorst
Oliver Who Would Not Sleep - Mara Bergman
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed - Mo Willems
We also started The Little Prince, but I get the feeling it's going over his head. I keep asking if he wants to hear more, and he always says yes, but I doubt we'll make it all the way through.
There's also a picture book about George Washington. The surprise that came from this book was a discussion about mapmaking and surveying. There was a moment of convergence when we saw a surveyor with a transit working on the new building across the street from the library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment